Vaazhaikaai Curry / Green Plantain / Unripe Banana (Ammavasai Curry)
This is the recipe which my mom cooks during ammaavasai.
Find below the recipe of vaazhaikaai curry (simple, healthy and quick)Ingredients:
1. Unripe Banana / Plantain / Raw Banana (Vaazhaikaai) - 1 big size
2. Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
3. Tamarind (1 pulp or paste)
4. Mustard - 1tsp
5. Black Gram / Urad Dhal (Uluntham Paruppu) - 1 tbsp
6. Red Chilli (Kaaindha Milagai) - 1
7. Curry leaves (Karivaepilai)
8. Oil - 1 or 2 tbsp
9. Asafoetida powder (Perungaayam)
10. Salt to taste (1 tsp)Preparation:
Cut the top and bottom of the banana an inch and cut them horizontally into multiple slices (like cutting cucumber for salad).
Boil this banana in turmeric+tamarind+salt water for 5 min which will make the banana soft to cut.
Drain the water and peel off the skin and cut it into small pieces (vertically slice it into 4 and then cut it horizontally - will give you small pieces)
In a pan, pour oil and put mustard and black gram - Allow them to sputter.
Add red chilli (broken) and Curry leaves to it (let it be there for 5-10 secs)
Put the cut banana in the pan and just roll it evenly to mix well.
Just sprinkle Asafoetida over this and switch off the flame.
Yummy Banana curry is ready.Note
: Since banana's skin become tender, it can be eaten as well (so no need to peel off).
3 tsp (tea spoons) = 1 tbsp (table spoon) - approximatelySome Indian Spices